Wednesday, March 31, 2010

10

This was a very special St Patrick's Day for me, as it marked the 10 year anniversary of the night I proposed to Steph, asking her to be my best friend for life.

Our story is as follows:

We found ourselves in Palm Springs for a quick getaway that Steph earned through stellar performance at her job at WB-TV (the Dawson's Creek channel).  I thought this would be the perfect setting to make my big offer.  After some research, I had it narrowed to two stages, each with impressive candidacies.  The first was a hot air balloon ride over wine country, where I would drop to one knee and make my pitch.  The second was a romantic evening glide on the rotating aerial tramway to the top of San Jacinto Peak, where I would deliver my proposal at sunset.  After carefully weighing my options I shrewdly decided that the balloon ride had too much risk... I could get nervous and fumble the ice out of the gondola and watch Steph's ring fall thousands of feet to the desert floor.  Better to play it safe with the mountain option.

What my research failed to illuminate was that the world's longest tramway would take us through several "life zones", starting with American Desert Southwest, and ending with Canadian Tundra.  I also failed to learn that the sun would set on the opposite side of the mountain.  So decked out in American Desert Southwest appropriate attire, we arrived at the top surrounded by snow, a brisk breeze, and darkness.  I contemplated my options as we dodged the unruly local youth who had made the same journey in order to have a snowball fight.  Discretion is the better part of valor, and while I had no backup, I wisely decided to ditch this poor plan.

We arrived back in town and found our way to the Hyatt Resort, and I decided that I was excited to do this, and wanted to get on with the anticipated celebration.  After some quick negotiations with the staff, I secured the gazebo for ourselves, and had 2 individual bottles of champagne delivered.  Ensue awkward conversation about dreams and futures... nerves delivered a classically clumsy lead in to the big moment.  A successful proposal really just needs one thing: two people excited to commit their lives to each other.  I dropped to one knee, pulled out a small box, and asked her to marry me.  She said yes, we both teared up, and we spent a blissful weekend in Palm Springs envisioning our future and family.

To commemorate the event 10 years later, we again drank champagne from 2 individual bottles, served in our toasting glasses from our wedding.  I am so happy and humbled by the blessings I have been given. I love you more than ever, Stephanie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment