Last night marked likely the last visit to the tooth fairy to our home for a while, as Mackenzie lost what I think is the last of her first round of baby teeth. At least I think... there may be one more that I'm not aware of.
I am happy to report that the tooth fairy has never failed to deliver a shiny gold dollar for each of our kids' lost teeth. This is good, because both kids, Mackenzie especially, get really excited about the tooth fairy. Jackson was a little slower to pick up on the concept, as he didn't have an older sibling through whom he could live vicariously. Mackenzie knew what to expect and eagerly, impatiently awaited the day she could put her first tooth under her pillow.
So our saga began with Jackson's first tooth, which came flying out of his mouth after he tripped in our kitchen, followed by him crying and begging his mother to put the tooth back in the hole in his mouth. By contrast, his sister's first tooth came via self extraction, when she one day quietly slipped into a bathroom and worked her first loose tooth back and forth, didn't fret over the blood coming out, and finally pulled the tooth out with her bare hands. Yesterday, Mackenzie found a clever way to get that last tooth out, while abiding by the new "no pulling" rules. She jumped toward the couch and landed on her forearms, leveraging physics to use her own momentum to pop the tooth out with the sudden deceleration.
At bedtime she put the tooth under her pillow in a baggie, per her usual routine. As I sang her songs, I deftly moved the bag close to the edge of her pillow, so the tooth fairy could access the tooth without waking her, which has always been a major challenge. My well intentioned idea was foiled, however. When the tooth fairy came to make the exchange, Mackenzie had a vice grip on the bag with the tooth in it... as if she had her own version of an old phrase: "you can have my tooth when you pry it from my cold, sleeping hands". Fortunately the tooth fairy is an old pro, and was able to wrestle it away from Kenzie. I can't wait to hear all about it when I get home tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment